Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Today





If you're out there and you know a way to keep the delicious, cool air conditioned feeling of a hotel room and transfer it directly and permanently into a silver Volkswagen - - I'm all ears. In a related quest, it'd be great if this king-sized uber-soft bed could be somehow attached to the roof of the car (and air-conditioned as well) in such a manner to allow me to nap today on the way from Scottsdale, Arizona to . . . wait for it . . . Las Vegas.



It feels a little like the wheels - - an important part of any road trip - - are coming off of this one. Moments of clarity and purpose happen almost daily and when they do, if taken advantage of, decisions can be made, thoughts catalogued. Often times, however, this happens instead:



"What is that we're doing today?"



"I don't know. What's today?"



"Thursday?"



"No, I think it was already Thursday."



"Monday?"



"Could be."



"Is there something we've planned to do or are you asking if there is something we're supposed to be doing?"



"Tuesday, it's Tuesday."



"Okay. What does that mean?"



"Yeah, I don't know."



You'll notice that dialogue tags are conspicuously missing from the above conversation and that is easily because we take turns not knowing things. It's an equal opportunity ignorance experiment we're running here. Either way - yesterday's twelve minutes of clarity resulted in an impromptu research trip to Las Vegas to scout neighborhoods, talk to service people, gawk and point at drunks/nudists/drunknudists.



Meanwhile, I'll let you in on a word about how hot it is in Phoenix during the summer. It's hot. It's really, really, - truly - hot. We both thought for sure that the heat was a constant - much like sitting in a sauna. The nice thing about a sauna is that one enters them for the purpose of relaxing. How about adding an industrial hair dryer to the sauna, and then making the test subject think about things - calculate figures like days without a job, cost of living ratios to three or four major domestic cities, gas prices, proper breathing protocol, water where is the water, what day is it for the love of the world, what DAY IS IT?



So I'll wait here for another hour in this plush, dark, cool hotel room and then scribble an itinerary on the back of my hand for ease of use and certainty of retention: Go to Vegas. Learn about Vegas. Today is . . . Tuesday? Wednesday? Dammit.

2 Comments:

Blogger Peggy Beatty said...

Is this a new Yoga pose you've invented or is the Volkswagon sliding backwards in the cacti?
Now that you've got me hooked on this site, I can hardly wait to tune in tomorrow!
Of particular interest: What are the "final three?"
When will it be narrowed to a final two, one?
When should I tell Mattie "the wonder dog" to expect you again? She's been asking for you! The little rascal is all but housetrained at the ripe old age of 9 weeks. I told her all my kids are smart...

6/30/2007 9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just in Vegas. I had three work appointments and spent the rest of the day at "Bare" with HC. Bare is a topless pool at the Mirage. I believe I am now moving to Vegas too (as in also). It's never too (there it is again but it doesn't mean also, damn it). hot to be naked. Unless your white Irish. Shit. Maybe I'll just stay here in foggy SF. bye bye now.

7/04/2007 7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Visitor Counter by Digits
Google