Friday, March 03, 2006

This Morning's Yellow Label


I told my good friend this morning that I was doing just fine despite missing 95% of the Oscar nominated movies because the new town I live in, Lahaina, doesn't feel it necessary to "rock the boat" culturally speaking. There is culture here, to be sure, but it is of the varying brands of historic island culture mixed with popular culture - one to keep the tourists happy and the other to keep the locals happy (but I suspect that the definitive "island charm" ie, historic culture is often pushed a little farther to keep the tourists happy also.)

My commentary on the sociological makeup of this place will not appear here.

Suffice it to say, Pink Panther has been running for over a month and films like Brokeback and Capote and Munich and Syriana and others have enjoyed zero playing time (or in Munich's case, very little).

This leaves me out of touch with one of my favorite past times and art forms - - no, Domino Harvey wasn't ART, but it did play here for all of November.

The point of this, I think, is that I'm looking for a movie to go and watch this evening and have no choice but to skip it on grounds that I don't want to see another movie about Sled Dogs or a man dressed up as a large black woman - - or even a large black woman playing a large black woman who has only a short time to live.

But I have the night off and I'm standing in my kitchen drinking yellow label champagne from an Oreo coffee mug and wearing only boxer shorts - - so I guess, in the grand scheme, everything is going to be all right.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shua said...

I can watch Netflix instantly on my Xbox. My 9 year thinks this is “nothing special.” Can you imagine immediately having access to hundreds of movies via your NES when we were 9? Unlimited access to 'Rad' with that chick who ended up on Full House as Jesse's girl friend!! She was hot.

I am old, grumpy, and going to play the 1986 World Series on NES RBI Baseball…. Vaaaa-woomp!

12/01/2008 2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Visitor Counter by Digits
Google